FT.com Senior Developer – Job Description
The FT is currently working on the next generation of its FT.com website, called Next FT – a node.js based suite of microservices orchestrated to form the user-interface to our journalism.
- Writing and integrating with server-side APIs.
- Liaising with product owners, UX and designers to help shape the user experience.
- Managing the lifecycle of a feature – from design to build to deployment.
- Contributing to the company-wide frameworks.
- Managing technical workload in tandem with requirements analysis, design and coding of the required solution with minimal supervision
- Manage 3rd party integrations, and technical relationships with external suppliers
- Mentor other developers and foster knowledge and skills transfer
- Assist in the recruitment of new permanent/contract members of staff to the FT
Skills & Requirements
- 5 years overall software development experience or equivalent
- A proven record of handling the full software development life-cycle from end to end
- Strong command of a variety of software design patterns, such as factory, observer, module, pubsub, closure, async, promises etc
- Strong server-side development experience with node; other languages a plus.
- Working knowledge of Linux command line tools and version control concepts.
- Experience with version control and front-end build tools (Sass, babel, grunt etc.)
- Knowledge of the current state of ES6 and ES7 development
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- People management experience and strong mentoring and coaching skills
- Experience in the role of technical lead of a multi-disciplined team, acting as the main technical contact, translating business requirements from stakeholders into solutions
- Web accessibility knowledge
- An understanding of design and UX principles.
About Financial Times
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work – we have a technical stack that is cutting edge, our product development methodologies are very current, our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
Send a brief email with a link to an online CV or PDF attachment to Laura Carvajal.