Join us as a PHP developer to build great websites and web applications for a wide variety of platforms and audiences. Our sites have previously won three Webby awards, and most recently we’re scored a best mobile site award from the Association of Online Publishers. You’ll be writing and working with PHP based web applications, using a variety of frameworks, both well known and home grown, to create the best solutions we can.
This page describes the web developer role specifically. For general recruitment information and a guide to what working at FT Labs is like, or for details of our other jobs, please see our main jobs page.
- Software development in PHP
- Integrating with associated technologies: databases, caches, message queues, APIs, SMS and Email, test frameworks, and much more.
- Templates and some user interface development, working with UX engineers on larger projects
- Testing, debugging and troubleshooting
- Client liaison and training
- PHP 5
- MySQL 5 (to expert level, including sub queries, unions, and optimising for multi-million row record sets)
- HTML5 and CSS
- Knowledge of a variety of software design patterns
- Working knowledge of Linux command line tools and version control concepts
- Excellent quality of written and spoken English
- Experience with jQuery
- Usability and user experience design
- Knowledge of a variety of PHP frameworks (ie. more than one).
- Knowledge of the Baazar VCS
- Adobe flash
- .net or any other Microsoft technology
- Specialism in any one specific PHP framework
We offer salaries of £25,000 – £50,000 for developer roles
Application for developer roles is via our online application form, where we will test the skills outlined above in an online skills assessment. Recruiters: please see our recruiters policy, and as much as we know you love the telephone, if you phone us, we will blacklist you immediately.